When a child reaches the age of 3, they are ready to take that leap from being cared for by mum all the time, to begin to explore the big wide world, and, of course, this is a tense time for parents. There are many kindergarten schools, and they are not all the same, and in order to help you in your quest to find the best kindergarten program, here is our checklist for a good kindergarten program.
- Core Beliefs – Every learning program has its own unique educational beliefs, and the best kindergarten in Bangkok would be one that believes that every child should have the right and the opportunity to express themselves. Young children should learn through exploration, using the 5 senses to make sense of the world around them, and with many fun-based activities that are overseen by the teacher-facilitator, the children would enjoy their learning.
- Safe Learning Environment – The children must have safe places to learn, both inside and out, and the ideal kindergarten would have CCTV everywhere, plus a very strict access control system. The classrooms would be filled with games and learning resources; blocks, clay, books and shape resources, and children’s work would fill the walls.
- Professional Carers – Ideally, each team would be led by a Native English Speaker who is a qualified early learning teacher, and there would be a few young carers who are learning how to become teachers. The school should have a very firm set of goals, which would be laid out in the mission and vision statements.
- Encouraging Parental Participation – A good school would welcome parental participation, and every parent would be encouraged to have daily interaction with the teachers. Education does not start and finish at school times, indeed, children are always learning and it is vital that the parents are onboard with the program. Any school that makes you feel unwelcome as a parent should be avoided, and if you really want to know how the parents and school interact, talk to a few of the parents and you will get your answer.
- Reasonable Distance – If the best kindergarten in town happens to be miles away, and your child has to sit in a car for 3-4 hours per day, this is not acceptable. If you are having any difficulty in locating a nearby kindergarten program, search online and that will bring up a list of all early learning programs in your area.
- Fun-Based – If you visit a kindergarten school, take note of the children and their moods. The kids should always be having fun, so happy learners are a good indication, and by spending a morning at a kindergarten school, you can easily assess whether or not the children are enjoying themselves.
If you manage to find an early learning program that has all of the above, then look no further, as this environment will help your child to develop the life-skills they need to achieve their goals.